“Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue. And the dreams that you really dare to dream really do come true.”
Who needs a white wedding when you can bring all of the colours of the rainbow to your special day? Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet – a perfectly coordinating and colourful basis for everything from bridesmaids and flower girls to the gents’ ties and socks!
Wedding seating plans and escort cards
- Create a rainbow chalkboard wedding seating plan by using multi-coloured chalkboard pens.
- Use multi-coloured lollipops as edible escort cards.
- A craft shop will be able to supply you with paper in all colours of the rainbow – this escort card display tells guests to find their table based on the colour of their escort card.
- This seating plan is mounted on a frame, with multi-coloured ribbons creating the backdrop.
- These beautiful origami irises come in all colours of the rainbow and would make a stunning and elegant escort card display.
Table names and numbers
- Use colours as table names – either straightforward red and blue, or choose specific shades of colour, such as British Racing Green or Blizzard Blue! Here’s a complete list to give you some more ideas.
- Choose table names from the characters found in the Wizard of Oz – this couple have used Toto, the Cowardly Lion and the Scarecrow, to name but a few!
- If you are going with numbers, use your rainbow theme to create colourful table number holders. These butterfly-themed rainbow table numbers would be perfect, and here’s a great DIY tutorial for making your own rainbow table numbers with lollipop sticks.
Rainbow colours look stunning if used against white table linen. Other ideas include:
- Use a rainbow table cloth for your top table, and assign a colour to the other tables, decorating them with different shades of that colour.
- Create your own vibrant tissue paper flowers as table centrepieces and venue decoration.
- For an extra special after dark rainbow effect, arrange for coloured lights to light up each table in a different colour of the rainbow. Lights could be incorporated into the centrepiece design or, as in this example, actually under the table itself!
- The African Daisy (gerbera) comes in practically every colour imaginable and would make for stunning flower arrangements on a colour-coordinated table.
- For truly rainbow flowers, take any white flower – roses and carnations work well – and turn it into a rainbow flower with the simple trick shown in this video. Magical!
- For a ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’ theme, look for accessories in Emerald green (city), sky blue (skies are blue), Ruby red (slippers) and bright yellow (brick road)!
- Balloons in every colour of the rainbow make an ideal decoration for your evening – weight them down with a pot of chocolate gold coins – the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
- Get the party started with multi-coloured cocktails or mocktails and, if you love a bad joke, why not have a ‘guess the weight of the pie’ competition (‘Somewhere, over the rainbow, weigh a pie…” – get it?).
- This couple simply have to be in line for the title of the ultimate rainbow wedding – from hand decorated rainbow crystal bride’s shoes to colour coordinated cupcake trees, rainbow themed tables with handpainted wooden flower tree centrepieces.
- Remember to look at all of the additional ideas on our Rainbow Pinterest board!